Star Rating: 4.1/5 Rated on Amazon.com
For Ages: 3 – 10 years
Move right into the Barbie Dreamhouse and discover a world of possibilities because with Barbie, anything is possible! Dream up all kinds of stories with three floors, seven rooms, 70+ accessories and a working elevator with simple pull mechanism! “Smart” accessories snap into an interactive furniture piece for lights, sound and/or motion — for instance, try the aquarium to watch the fish swim and hear bubble sounds. Flip open the “flat screen” in the living room to insert your own smartphone and play videos for Barbie doll (sold separately). Classic rooms with modern designs include the first-floor entryway and kitchen; second-floor dining room and bathroom (with pet room between); and third-floor living room, bedroom and walk-in closet. Built-in garage door opens and closes by sliding a tab. Flip atrium window down to convert to swimming pool.
Barbie’s Dreamhouse also includes interactive tech that recognizes “smart” accessories which activate different lights, sounds and motions throughout the house. Barbie doll(s) are not included.
When you purchase from Amazon.com, you can choose between Standard Packaging (the traditional box with pictures and branding on it) or Amazon Certified Packaging (a plain brown box to keep the contents a secret from the kids until it’s opened). If you have children who love to “preview” their gifts, this might be the perfect solution.
What’s In The Box?
- Dreamhouse parts (requires adult assembly)
- Stickers for decoration
- A host of accessories as shown below
- Move right into the Barbie Dreamhouse and discover a world of possibilities because with Barbie, anything is possible!
- Furniture pieces help decorate the space, while fabulous items, from place settings to a TV remote, help expand realistic play.
- Three floors, seven rooms and a working elevator with simple pull mechanism provide the perfect setting for all kinds of stories.
- ‘Smart’ accessories snap into an interactive furniture piece for lights, sound and/or motion. For example, try the aquarium to watch the fish swim and hear bubble sounds. (Requires 3 AAA batteries, not included)
- Flip open the ‘flat screen’ in the living room to insert your own smartphone and play videos for Barbie and her friends (dolls sold separately).
- The addition of a garage with a door that flips open and closed lets Barbie experience life with a car (sold separately) or create an extra room to fit any story (like a game room).
- Classic rooms with modern designs include the first-floor entryway and kitchen; second-floor dining room and bathroom (with pet room between); and third-floor living room, bedroom and walk-in closet.
- The Barbie Dreamhouse encourages imaginative and interactive play and is perfect for any doll enthusiast!
Is the Barbie Dreamhouse Worth Buying?
Most parents gave the Barbie Dreamhouse an overwhelming endorsement. It takes between 25 and 45 minutes for an adult to assemble. There is a YouTube video to show you how. Assembly for this year’s Dreamhouse is simplified and no tools are needed. (Be sure you retrieve the instructions from the box before discarding it!) And it’s BIG when assembled, so be sure you have room for it in your child’s room or playroom. Children love playing with it and really enjoy the sounds and lights that make play more realistic.
Smaller children may have trouble operating some of the moving controls like the elevator and the garage door. It is probably best if younger ones are supervised while playing to help them work these parts. Also be aware that there are small parts that may represent a choking hazard for children under 3 years of age, so if you have toddlers in your home, monitor them carefully when this toy is in use.
The biggest complaint that was voiced had to do with the packaging. Please be sure to note that the toy comes boxed two ways: Standard packaging in Mattel’s printed box with pictures or Amazon Certified Packaging which is a plain brown box with Barbie Dreamhouse Playset in black lettering, but no pictures. It seems like the Amazon Certified Packaging caused the most concern because parts may have been missing or damaged. So we recommend that you make sure you are choosing the product that is “Sold by and ships from Amazon.com” and the condition is “New”. This should eliminate the issue of receiving a previously opened item.
Easier to assemble than any previous Barbie Dreamhouse, this year’s offering is a hit with Barbie lovers of all ages. Special favorites are the new interactive features with lights and sounds that contribute to the realism of the play experience. Just imagine inserting your smartphone into the television slot and queuing up a movie to enjoy with Barbie and her friends. This toy invites children to use their imaginations to create an unlimited variety of stories. Note that all dolls, pets and cars are not included, but are sold separately.